They welcome contributions from journalists, academics, experts, policymakers, activists and concerned citizens.
The Third Pole is currently seeking pitches for paid commissions from journalists in South, Central and Southeast Asia. They aim to use on-the-ground reporting and transboundary perspectives to produce outstanding coverage of environmental problems and responses to them across the region.
The Third Pole’s geographic focus
The Third Pole’s coverage focuses on the Hindu Kush Himalayan region, Central Asia and the basins of rivers which originate in the Himalayas, from the Indus Delta in Pakistan to the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. Explore our coverage by country and by river basin.
The Third Pole publishes in English, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Nepali and Russian. Pitches in English are preferred, but we will consider submissions in any of their publishing languages.
Topics of interest
The Third Pole is interested in story ideas focused on climate change, water, nature, and pollution from across the Himalayas, Central Asia and the basins of Himalayan rivers, from the Indus to the Mekong.
Click here for more detail on topics of interest.
How to pitch to The Third Pole
The pitch should clearly summarise the focus of the story, highlighting what is new and interesting and how it fits into The Third Pole’s geographic and thematic areas of focus.
It should also identify some sources you would draw upon for the story, including data where required to back up assertions and links made, and potential interviewees, with the aim of gender parity in sources and interviews.
Suggestions for multimedia elements, including photographs, illustrations and infographics, are welcome.
They encourage journalists to use their template pitch form.
Pitches should be sent to opportunities@thethirdpole.
Submissions from non-journalists
They also welcome contributions from academics, policymakers, activists and experts on climate change, water, energy, nature and related transboundary cooperation.
However, first read the following guidelines:
- Please try to keep your article length to below 1,000 words in English
- Submissions should focus on the geographical area and topics outlined above
- Please read the website to familiarise yourself with their style. Bear in mind that The Third Pole is read all over the world. When you write your article, think of the reader who may not be familiar with local or specialist references and remember to provide a short explanation, or a link to a site where an explanation may be found
- Please supply them with further links that provide context, explanation or further reading, but do not include footnotes
- Please supply them with a few lines of your own biography.
See here for more information and guidance for contributors to The Third Pole.
Original Link – https://www.thethirdpole.net/en/pitch/?fbclid=IwAR13mtoOJO1VtyDjrac3aoi_K5yIUGxDuDm98TgcsdPrIze7T6Vu4ksCtfc